The Australia Day long weekend…
The Australia Day long weekend (26-28 January) and the 225th anniversary of the first Christian service in Australia (3 February) may provide God’s people with special opportunities to pray for the nation and its civic authorities.
Let us pray together.
- Lord, we give thanks for our beloved indigenous people,who were placed by you in this vast land, and here exercised your commission – to steward and name created things.
- Father, we give thanks for the founding goal of the Portuguese explorer Pedro de Quiros – who named our continental landmass The Southern Land of the Holy Spirit.
- Lord, we give thanks for the brave explorers who gathered Australia into fellowship with the other nations, and shared the Christian Gospel with Australia’s First People.
- Almighty God, we give you thanks for the 225 years since the very first Christian Services were held in Australia, and we pray that your purposes will prevail in our land.
- Lord, we pray about the Royal Commission that will look at institutional responses to the sexual abuse of children. May healing and restoration come to all the victims.
- Gracious Father, as our nation continues to face the threat of bush fire, may you be with all who are giving themselves to protect people and their property from danger.
- Lord, be with the current review of promotions of “live odds” within sports broadcasts. We pray for the integrity of sports, and that Australia would learn to stop gambling.
- Almighty God, we pray about proposed reforms of anti-discrimination laws, as they may bring same-sex normalisation based on gender identity and sexual orientation.